Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What is Discipline?

As someone who has spent most of her life surrounded by children in some shape, way, or form, I have to admit that discipline is something I learned very young. Babysitting does that to someone.

At work, I have these two little boys. They're ADHD. They don't sit still. They CONSTANTLY have things to tell me.

I love them.

Discipline is what these kids thrive on. They needed someone to tell them to sit still, to follow certain rules, and to listen to directions. So how do I go about doing this you ask?

1. I set up rules specifically catered to them. One reads directions well while the other does not so on one (we'll call him "A") "A" has a rule that says "Read all directions." These rules are written down and reviewed every. single. day. It's not a one time and done sort of thing. Many times we as teachers get distracted and may forget the simple fact that we need to review something every day. I totally get that! But it really is important that they have the rules reviewed all the time. Also, if they have an exceptionally good day and follow EVERY SINGLE rule, they get a special prize. For my boys at work, they get a sticker at the end of the day if they've done exceptionally well.

2. Consistency. Not only do they review the rules at the end of the hour, I make sure everything about what they do is consistent. They come in at the beginning of the hour and know EXACTLY where to sit down in their seats. Most of the kids will move/change seats each hour they are at Sylvan but my boys will consistently sit in the same seat. This keeps them calm, they know all the time where they are going, and it doesn't throw them off their center of gravity. They also know without fail what activity they are doing first. No matter what, we will ALWAYS do facts first...Again, it's consistent and they don't get confused. The more confused they are, the more questions get asked, and the more loud they become.

3. Special Privileges.  "A" loves a computer game so if he gets through a certain number of activities within the hour, he gets to play a math related computer game. He loves it and has zero idea that he's learning while playing it. The best part is that due to consistency (!) he now knows exactly how many activities he has to get through in order to get the special privilege of going on the computer game. "T" likes to practice phonics (!!!) and so his special privilege is to play with our phonics activities if HE gets through a certain amount of activities in the hour. These privileges work like a charm and they know if they don't get to go to the computer or play with the phonics games that they have done something to not deserve it.

4. Knowing them. Part of discipline is knowing the kids. What works on "A" does not always work on "T" and what works for both of them does not always work for the student I had the hour before. I know how they both tick. Knowing how they tick and what makes them motivated helps with my discipline technique for each of them, as well as any other student who comes into the center. Each of the kids is their own person and its important to know them all so that you know what works best for each.

What's important to know is that this is what works best for me right now in my work environment. These techniques will/would have to be tweaked more than likely in a classroom setting.

I know I don't have many followers right now but if any of those few want to comment, I'm wondering: What do you do to discipline in class? In any line of work with kids?

Best Teaching,
Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment